Facts about C Programming Language:
- Today, C is running under a number of operating systems including MS-DOS.
- C is a robust language which is a rich set of built-in functions.
- Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan published the first edition “The C Programming Language” in 1978 and commonly known as K&R C
- In 1983, the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) formed a committee to provide a modern, comprehensive definition of C.That was Formalized as an ANSI Standard or ANSI C.
- Today C is the most using System Programming Language.
- C language was invented to write an Operating System called UNIX.
- C Programming language is written in Assembly Language.
- The C Programming language is belonging to the middle-level programming language.
- Operating system programs such as Windows, Unix, Linux…etc are written in C Programming language.
Advantages of C Programming Language:
- Easy to learn and apply.
- C is most powerful Language, and it has the following features:
d) Efficiency & Effectiveness
- C Programming Language supports Good Graphics.
- C Language supports Number of Operators.
- C supports Strong handling.
- It supports System Programming.
- This is a collection of Lot of Library Files.
- Main important feature of c is its ability to extend itself.
- It can handle Low-Level activities.
- Debugging, testing, and maintenance is easy in C language.
- Large programs are divided into smaller programs known as Functions.
- Most of the Functions share Global data.
- Emphasis is on doing Algorithms.
- Functions transform data from one form to another form.
- Employs Top-Down approach.
Applications of C:
‘C’ Programming Language was initially used for developing system applications that form a major portion of operating systems such as WINDOWS, UNIX, LINUX..etc. The Promising areas for application of C programming language includes the following:
- Network Drivers.
- Modern programs.
- Operating Systems.
- Embedded systems.
- Text Editors.
- Simulation and modeling.
- Real-time systems.
- Print Spoolers.
- Language Interpreters.
- Word Processors.
Disadvantages of C:
- C Programming Language doesn’t provide Security.
- C Language doesn’t support Inheritance, Encapsulation, Polymorphism…other Object Oriented Programming(OOP) features.
- It doesn’t support concept for Constructors and Destructors.
- C doesn’t perform Runtime Type Checking. It only does compile time type checking. At run time, C doesn’t ensure whether the correct data type is used instead it perform automatic type conversion.
- C Programming Language doesn’t support Exception Handling.
- This Language cannot be easily upgraded from Small to Large systems.
- Data Hiding is not possible in C Programming Language.
- Code reusability is not Fully achieved in C Programming Language.
- This Programming Language doesn’t support namespace features.