WHAT WE HAVE TO LEARN
‘C’ is a High-level and general purpose programming Language. ‘C’ is a structure oriented programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie. ‘C’ seems a strange name for a programming language. ‘c’ was an offspring of the “BASIC COMBINED PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE”(BCPL) called B, developed in the 1960’s at Bell Laboratories in 1960.
B language was Modified by Dennis Ritchie and was implemented at Bell Laboratories in 1972. The New Language was named C. since it was developed along with UNIX operating system, it is strongly associated with UNIX. This operating system, which was developed at Bell Laboratories, was coded almost entirely in C.
Before going to learn C, take a look at the Facts, Advantages, Uses and Disadvantages of C programming language-
Facts about C Programming Language
- Today, C is running under a number of operating systems including MS-DOS.
- C is a robust language which is a rich set of built-in functions.
- Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan published the first edition “The C Programming Language” in 1978 and commonly known as K&R C
- In 1983, the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) formed a committee to provide a modern, comprehensive definition of C.That was Formalized as an ANSI Standard or ANSI C.
- Today C is the most using System Programming Language.
- C language was invented to write an Operating System called UNIX.
- C Programming language is written in Assembly Language.
- The C Programming language is belonging to the middle-level programming language.
- Operating system programs such as Windows, Unix, Linux…etc are written in C Programming language.
Advantages of C Programming Language
- Easy to learn and apply.
- C is most powerful Language, and it has the following features:
d) Efficiency & Effectiveness
- C Programming Language supports Good Graphics.
- C Language supports Number of Operators.
- C supports Strong handling.
- It supports System Programming.
- This is a collection of Lot of Library Files.
- Main important feature of c is its ability to extend itself.
- It can handle Low-Level activities.
- Debugging, testing, and maintenance is easy in C language.
- Large programs are divided into smaller programs known as Functions.
- Most of the Functions share Global data.
- Emphasis is on doing Algorithms.
- Functions transform data from one form to another form.
- Employs Top-Down approach.
Applications of C
‘C’ Programming Language was initially used for developing system applications that form a major portion of operating systems such as WINDOWS, UNIX, LINUX..etc. The Promising areas for application of C programming language includes the following:
- Network Drivers.
- Modern programs.
- Operating Systems.
- Embedded systems.
- Text Editors.
- Simulation and modeling.
- Real-time systems.
- Print Spoolers.
- Language Interpreters.
- Word Processors.
Disadvantages of C
- C Programming Language doesn’t provide Security.
- C Language doesn’t support Inheritance, Encapsulation, Polymorphism…other Object Oriented Programming(OOP) features.
- It doesn’t support concept for Constructors and Destructors.
- C doesn’t perform Runtime Type Checking. It only does compile time type checking. At run time, C doesn’t ensure whether the correct data type is used instead it perform automatic type conversion.
- C Programming Language doesn’t support Exception Handling.
- This Language cannot be easily upgraded from Small to Large systems.
- Data Hiding is not possible in C Programming Language.
- Code reusability is not Fully achieved in C Programming Language.
- This Programming Language doesn’t support namespace features.